Well Bless Your Heart Eh

Friday, January 22, 2010

Moving forward..................

We've left Ontario for the land south of the Mason Dixon line. All of my life I've wanted to live in the South. In fact, when my husband told me that the opportunity to move to Toronto had presented itself........I questioned him, "That's North! What gives?" We enjoyed our time in the Great White North and left behind many fantastic friends and a town full of amazing things to do. We've also left behind long johns, snow boots, sleds, snow shovels and high prices.  I do miss our friends, I wish I could have brought all of them with me.

Now. A little bit of background about the title of the new blog. "Bless your heart" is a phrase often heard around here. It can have two meanings. In the words of Annisa, one of my on-line buddies, " When it is used, it is typically after you've said something not so nice about someone. She wore white shoes after Labor Day, bless her heart. It's a southern rule, you can say anything you want about someone as long as "bless her heart" is after it. Make sense?"

Other times, it is truly a compliment. Here's how my friend, Elaine defines it, "You've just been through the roughest year, bless your heart. I hope next year is better."Sometimes it CAN be sincere. It's just a phrase used in the south to soften the impact of whatever else is being said, whether dripping with sarcasm or with kindness."Bless your heart, you keep saying that but I don't think you realize that it's hurting poor Emmaline's feelings."

So, it's helpful to be aware of the situation surrounding the utterance of these words. The person speaking them can be genuinely concerned or subtlety disrespecting you. The trick is to know the difference! This is one of many lessons I've learned so far in my new home. Come back and see me for records of daily life, new recipes, books to read, scrapbooking loveliness and many more lessons. Leave me a comment when you stop by, I love to hear from all of you!

5 comments:

agent713 said...

Congratulations on the new home! (both in "the south" and online!)

Cori said...

Hi Christy, can't wait to see what you have in store for this blog. Lookin' forward to next weekend!

Rene said...

Congrats! Putting you on google reader right now :)

Angela Marcum said...

Horray! A new blog-love it already! And package sentas of today! I love you sister friend-give all those boys a huge hug from Auntie Angela!

karen said...

added your new blog to my google feed so I can keep up with you. miss you!

Post a Comment